Sunday, September 17, 2017

Inbound and Down #22: Not Another Baseball Card Blog

I've been putting this post off for the better part of two weeks now, not sure why though.  Mike from the NABCB blog sent me a bunch of cards for the goalie frankenset a few weeks back, but instead of putting the post up right away, I wanted to get the remainder of the cards I had already for the frankenset posted before I started showing off what Mike was kind enough to send.

I actually did show a couple of cards recently, and I asked the blogosphere to vote on which card they wanted to see as part of the set.   It appears that the Andy Moog card won out, so the #9 spot belongs to Andy now.

Mike sent along about 35-40 cards that would fit in the set, so I decided to split them into a couple of posts.  The first one I decided to do in my old style, the 5-4-3-2-1 method to try and fit some of the cards together.

#'s 18 20 24 29 36

These 5 were part of the same set that the Patrick Roy card came from, the 2000-01 Prizm McDonald's release.  I've missed so many good releases from Canadian restaurants since I've moved to the US. 

#'s 215 228 282 392

All of these 4 are from the original Score hockey release, back in 90-91.  Again, can't go wrong with any design that has the Red Wings logo on it, as Glen Hanlon's mask shows.  Also the Don Beaupre mask with the Capital building on the forehead is a classic design as well.

#'s 262 343 465

The 1991-92 Upper Deck set was a great one in my opinion, with a lot of great photography.  The Kelly Hrudey card is the 2nd card that features the helmet/cage combo; his along with Dominik Hasek are the only 2 that I can remember where the goalies had designs painted on the helmet.  Norm Foster's card is #465 and chances are it may last quite a while in the set, as you won't see many cards numbered in the 400's (unless they are from OPC).

#'s 78 163

One of my favorite goalie's was Grant Fuhr, as he was very acrobatic and did whatever he could to stop a puck (as most goalie's do I suppose).  There was something different about him though, and I found it quite interesting that both of these cards featured him in a kneeling position.  I also don't have a lot of Pro Set cards so far, so the card on the right featuring him in his Edmonton colors is also most welcome. 

# 106

Although a bit dinged up, this Darren Puppa card features a good shot of his Sabres mask, with the Buffalo on his forehead and the two sabres on his chin.  The shot also looks as if Darren has lost his stick during play, and his eyes are quite intent on his target. 

I still have another group of cards to go through that Mike sent; I need to figure out how I'm going to incorporate them as well.  That's my next post...

Thank you Mike for the cards, they are appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, Robert


2 comments: