Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 in review

OK, there's a lot I want to say in this post, so let's get to it.

2017.  Not a bad year collecting wise.  I made a few decisions on how I want to go forward with my collection.  I also made 7 resolutions at the beginning of last year.  It's funny how things change as the year goes on.

A quick review:

1.  Set completion:  64 Topps, done.  88-89 OPC hockey.  Done.  73 Topps, 2 cards away.  I also mentioned the remainder of the 80's OPC hockey sets, getting them started and want lists on the blog.  That got started, somewhat.  Well, overall this is a B- for me.

2. Video posts.  Have to get back to these....F

3. COMC.  No longer want to sell on there, just don't see the upside in all that maintenance.

4. Jays and Leafs collections, sorted and catalogued.   As the year progressed, I figured out that maintaining a spreadsheet for both of these is both a lot of work and very tedious.  The TCDB is the way to go, and I've got the Jays collection started on there (just over 1000 cards entered).  Looking forward to getting the collection together, finally.  Grade:  Incomplete

5.  100 words, 100 cards contest.   Success!!  Grade:  A

6.  2016 Allen & Ginter completion:  Close, last card is in the mail on its way to me.   A-

7.  $2k.  I did pretty good up until September keeping track of what I spent.  At the end, just like a lot of things that you start at the beginning of the year, it became a bit tedious.  I know that I didn't even spend an average of $30/week, but I did get a good idea of what it will take to go to $40 a week like I thought I would last year.

I also wrote 160 posts, which I am happy with.  My days as an everyday blogger on this blog are gone, but double digit post totals each month is a very attainable goal. 

I'll write my goal post tomorrow, still have to think of how I want to get myself more organized and focused in 2018.

One card rule:


Waiting for the Mattingly card from A&G to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) and this set will be done.  That will be the first set of the year (and maybe the only, more to come on that) for me to list my top 10 cards...

Thanks for reading, and have a great 2018 everyone!!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    Interesting. I'd love to hear more about your experience with COMC. I was thinking about sending stuff in... but was waiting to talk to a few guys at the upcoming card show about it first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I initially was going to track my card-related spending in 2017...but I think I stopped doing that sometime in late January. Oh, well -- maybe I'll give it another shot this year. Happy 2018, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double digit posts in a month? That's just not happening for me.

    Well, maybe when you count the Jays From the Couch work.

    ReplyDelete