Sunday, January 21, 2018

Kirby for 80 cents

You just never know what you'll find at a card show.  I decided to head up to the West Palm Beach card show this morning to try and knock down some more of my want lists. 

I walked into the hall, hoping to see the same dealer I saw there last month; I had scored quite a few '90 Leaf and '89 UD cards, and was hoping to get another good deal this month.

Disappointment.  I walked in and his tables were empty.

There are 20 other tables at the show, so I figured I'd take a look around.  The 2nd table inside the door looked intriguing, as it had dime boxes.  So I sat down and started digging.

20 Heritage singles from '17:


A couple of '80 Topps cards


My 1981 want list saw 7 cards removed


Finally, I pulled 23 1982 Topps cards, with a few decent names mixed in.


So, there's $5.20 so far.  I didn't find anything else I wanted in the dime boxes, so I looked at the rest of his table.  Looking for something to maybe get me closer to $10.

I found this card.


Kirby Puckett RC.  I'm putting the 1985 Topps set together, I needed this card, so I figured it would round out my purchase nicely.

I handed the dealer the cards, he asked me what I had and I rang it off for him.  32 dime box cards, 20 Heritage singles and the Puckett RC.

I pulled a $20 bill out of my wallet expecting maybe 5 or 6 bucks in change.

The dealer says to me, "Six bucks".   Two months in a row, I find a great deal at the WPB show.   I did a lap of the other tables, but just couldn't bring myself to take a good look.  I joked to my wife when I got home that I probably spent more on gas getting there and back than I did at the show itself.

Eighty cents for a Kirby Puckett '85 Topps RC.  

Damn.

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome feeling. I've always loved that Puckett. The light blue and red go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Not bad for a Hall of Famer's rookie card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you a buck for the Puckett. 20¢ profit ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next Puckett I find for 80 cents, I'll take you up on that deal Fuji...LOL!

      Delete
  4. Heck of a steal there! Always a pleasant feeling when vendors cut you a deal like that.

    ReplyDelete