Sunday, February 18, 2018

50 cards from one of my favorite sets--1980 Topps

I grabbed a pile of 50 cards from the top of the 1980 Topps stack that Adam sent, and I just started flipping through them.

Boy, did a lot of memories come back quickly.  I was 12 years old when that set was released, and was I ever into baseball then!!

I think that might be why I'm really enjoying the run of sets between 1978-1985 so much.   That seems to be my golden era for baseball.

A Dave Stieb RC in the bunch, a good way to get things started for me.  This is definitely when things started to turn for the good for the Blue Jays.  The #37 needs to go to the rafters of the SkyDome in my opinion.


Can you imagine today's superstars wearing uniforms with collars?  If this picture doesn't scream 70's, I'm not sure what does....


"Yep, you better be ready with the bat son, because my plan is to strike you out."  Take a look at Tanana's stats between 1975-77, he was as good as any other pitcher in baseball.  50 wins, averaged 245 K's per season, WHIP of 1.056 combined for those 3 years and 14 shutouts.  


Can someone at Topps please bring these back?  How great is the A's photo with all 3 types of uniform tops represented!!


As a Jays fan, I truly hated facing the Brewers in the late 70's into the early 80's, because if there were runners on base, these two were going to drive them in.  No doubt about it.  Blue Jay killers they were.  Love the sideburns on Cecil Cooper...would love to see those come back in style again.


Sluggers?  Yeah, there were a few in there.  I certainly had forgotten that Bob Horner was drafted in June of '78 and was playing for Atlanta almost immediately.  I also didn't know that the #2 player picked in the draft by the Jays was Lloyd Moseby.  I had no idea he was drafted that high.  Maybe it's time I dig a little deeper into the Jays history books...


I see these, I immediately think of Jim from GCRL.   Great photo!


Now, the absolute scariness of this photo is offset (for me anyhow) by the old style powder blue pinstripe Cubs uniforms, which is something else that I had forgotten about.   There are a couple of other Cubs in the '80T stack that have these on as well, which is very cool.

Nothing like a little trip down nostalgia lane, right? 

Looking forward to seeing more cardboard goodness in these stacks.

Thanks for reading, Robert


3 comments:

  1. "Can you imagine today's superstars wearing uniforms with collars?" Ask Chris Sale about those, lol.

    Stieb and Tanana were very underrated. And I wonder why Dennis Lamp wore a "15" chain when his uniform # was 47?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mario Guerrero is pretty sweet! As an A's fan whose childhood extended into the early 80's, I can't believe I don't recognize that card. And the Stieb is fantastic too. I just picked up a PSA 9 copy for my collection. He's part of the Hometown PC. We attended the same high school... although he was there a decade or so before me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about 10 cards away from finishing this set and have 200+ duplicates if you need some set help. Just let me know! mrcoach00 at yahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete